TRIPAWDS: Home to 15387 Members and 1703 Blogs.

Post-op Day 2

I started to feel like myself again. Mommy had slept in my bed with me, so I woke her up bright and early for a potty outing. After that, she took off my dressing, cleaned my incision, and put me in this spiffy compression shirt! It’s made just for forelimb tripawds like me, and helped keep swelling down while stopping me from sneaking any licks!Β 

Oh! Did you spy stinky Phineas lurking in his crate? He was none too pleased that I woke him up at 5am. 😈

Anyway, later on I ventured outside to relax on my new lawn! Daddy’s working on a better one, but this did just fine for me! It was nice to enjoy the sun again.

Later in the day, I started feeling really sore, panting and yelping more and more because I just could NOT get comfy. Also, the more I moved around, I started having vomit kind of slosh out of my mouth. I wasn’t feeling sick, and didn’t throw up, but I felt like every time I hopped around, the liquid would hop with me! With a quick call to the vet, we learned that the buprenorphine I got on day 1 sometimes relaxes the muscle that keeps my stomach closed off, causing something similar to “acid reflux”. For that, I started taking Prevacid. For my pain, I was allowed to have my gabapentin (300mg) every 8 hours, plus a little extra carprofen (62.5mg every 12 hours) and Tylenol 325mg every 12 hours. This suited me quite well! I ended the night with a sloppy bowl of chicken, rice, and bone broth, and a blob of pumpkin for dessert. Now that’s the life!

Post-op Day 3

Day 3 was much better in the pain and reflux department. My incision was looking great, with just some mild bruising.

Yep, things were feeling much better! I got myself up on the couch and spent all day lounging.

I felt like a real life Tripawd warrior!

Post-op Day 4

I was feeling pretty good, but Mommy and Daddy were totally freaked out by this big red area!

I knew I was fine, but I didn’t tell them because it was a good excuse to go for a ride!

When I got to the vet’s, I took a HUGE poop and then ran all the way down the hall to the exam room by myself! The staff were so proud of me, and rightfully so! The vet figured out that the big blotchy spot was just a bruise, with blood pooling there because of how I like to lay down.

With a clean bill of health, we headed home! There I tried on my Ruffwear booties for the first time since surgery, and I spent some time wandering around with Phineas.

Post-op Day 5

I got the sweetest card in the mail from Spirit Jerry and fam! They sent me this sweet bandanna, too! Being a Tripawd has its perks. πŸ˜ƒ

Post-op Day 6

I went all the way up the hill just to poop and pee in Mommy’s garden! Spiky plants beware: this Tripawd is armed!

Post-op Day 7

My belly bruising went away! And my hair started to grow back!

I was feeling devious, so I stole my old bed back from Phineas when nobody was looking. Just ’cause I got a new one doesn’t mean he should get this one!

His window view is pretty nice, anyway! Here I was watching Daddy coming down the driveway.

I was even feeling up to surveillance duty! When the construction guys came around, I kept my eye on them! Really, I was hoping they’d come visit and bring me treats. They did not.

Overall, my first week went better than expected! I graduated from my Prilosec and antibiotic by day 7. I was still sore and tired, but who can blame a guy? Mommy was able to go back to work, and with Daddy as support I was able to start eating out in the kitchen, move around the house freely, and go potties on my normal routine (and that’s the best!)

Published by wanderlustloki

Hi! I'm Loki! My mom adopted me in January 2012, and we've been best friends ever since (Dad doesn't mind). She tells me that I was really sick with Lyme disease when we first met, and I guess that's why I always feel a little sore. In 2016, though, my right paw started to hurt really bad, and even though I thought licking it might help, I just felt worse and worse. Mom and Dad brought me to the vet four times, and finally in January 2017, one of the vet techs pushed right on the spot I'd been trying to lick... owww! Soon enough, Mom brought me back to the vet for a long nap, and when I woke up, my paw felt tingly but not as painful. The vet said I had a big tumor that was wrapped around a nerve, and that even though I'd probably feel a little weird, cancers like mine (grade 2 hemangiopericytoma) are often cured with resection. We all hoped I'd feel better soon, and despite negative met-checks, I kept licking and limping. On July 1, 2017, my paw was feeling worse than ever. When Mom sat down next to me that night, I reached out to her and held my paw up so she would understand... and she did! She started telling Dad that she noticed a lump under my carpal pad. She sounded really scared, and Dad got upset, too. On Monday, July 3rd, we all went back to the vet to see what was happening. The vet confirmed that my cancer had returned. Mom and Dad talked with him and an oncologist for awhile, and then they asked me if I wanted to get rid of the stupid foot... of course I agreed! Mom and Dad said my foot would finally stop hurting on July 10th! We all agreed that it was getting in the way, plus the oncologist said becoming a tripawd would be a 95% cure for my cancer. He even said I wouldn't need radiation or chemotherapy! Mom and Dad were really worried, but they were glad I found this community so that we wouldn't be alone. Now that I've been living the tripawd life, I can say that all the promises were true! I still get sore every so often, but I get massages and sometimes a peanut butter-covered treat that makes it all better, and really the soreness is nothin' like that stupid paw! All in all, I've been living the good life. Hopping on three, demanding wrestling and play time with Daddy, and even going out hiking. What's better than that?!

Join the Conversation


  1. LOKI!!!!! YOU ARE THE MOST HANDSOMEST AND ADORABLE TRIPAWD IN THE LAND!!! πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚ I’m sooo in love with you!!! You’re styling all your tee shirts and bandanna like a Runway Model!!

    And give Phineas a smooch for me…He’s cute as can be! Very nice of him to share his…er…your bed with you!

    So glad to hear everything is going well and you are moving through this recovery phase with flying colors! Still take it slooooow and easy big fella’. And keep these WONDERFUL updates coming WITH these deeeelightful pictures too!!! Sunbathing, strolling in the garden, owning the couch, POOPING…..yeah, we like anything and everything LOKI!!!

    Sally and Alumni Happy Hannah and Merry Myrtle and Frankie too!

    1. Thanks, Sally! We’re actually coming up on a month since surgery, so we have tons more pictures and updates in the queue. πŸ™‚ I’m so glad you’re enjoying following Loki’s story! He is a big ham for attention, and I happily oblige! On Loki’s behalf, I’ll give Phineas a smooch for you!

      Sending our love back to you and your pack!
      ~Brittnie and Loki

  2. I’m so glad things are going well! Loki looks like he’s getting around great and getting back to his normal self :).

    Tracy & Zatoichi

  3. Hi Loki
    You are looking great after your one week post surgery! We can’t wait to see more updated pictures. Stewie is also a month post surgery and I couldn’t feel better about the whole process!
    Keep hopping merrily along Loki and take good care.
    All the very best from Super Stu and his pack!

  4. Looooookkkkkiiii! Dang you look sharp in all your new gear. I think your Tripawd apparel is pure magic and helping you bounce back SUPER FAST πŸ™‚ Love the t-shirt, thanks for being one of our biggest cheerleaders. You are most definitely a Tripawd Warrior my friend.

    Your kingdom looks so peaceful and sunny and beautiful. I’m happy to see that you and Phineas are back to patrolling the grounds of your fabulous kingdom. What a pretty place!

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Loki's Tripawd Journey is brought to you by Tripawds.